Tuesday, December 9, 2008

E-Invasion

Our lives have been E-jacked, every thing we do in life these days is prefixed or rather dictated by the ‘E’. E mails, E commerce, E learning, E relationships, The eees are turning out to be pest just like the ‘ees’ in Tamil (‘ees’ in Tamil mean common houseflies). A Brahmin lady of wisdom told me when I was a kid that we are normally invaded by the fly’s ‘(eees) during the Tamil months ending in ‘phonetic ees’ like ‘Avani’, ‘Aadi’ and the likes…Well if u notice its kind of true.. I don’t have any proofs to put forward, but guys following the Tamil months back home please check it out.

The Electronic ‘E’ that Im referring to here is not seasonal but here to stay, an ‘E’ (Never thought I would be using ‘an’ the proposition in this format when I was taught English Grammar as a kid) that has made an irreversible impact in our lives.

It’s Christmas season, and as a child I remember an annual ritual of my dad picking up 50 odd Christmas cards and we as a family sitting around the dining table together to write out Christmas Greetings to all our friends and relatives. This was one ritual followed in all its sincerity irrespective of recession or hard times... The envelope was pasted with a 50 Paise ‘Gandhi’ stamp if it was within its stipulated weight and without any adders, the envelope was unsealed and this was called ‘Book Post’ and one had to write it in Bold on the envelope. I repeat ‘write’ and not ‘type Ctrl B’ on MS Word.

Today my six year comes up to me and tells me that she wants to log on to 123greetings.com and send an E card to a friend.

Recently one of my newly married younger cousin sent me an E mail and asked me for my postal (Snail mail address). Im sure he wanted to send me a Christmas greeting signed by his beau and him. Poor guy, lil does he realise that after a couple of years the only dotted line a wife would wanna sign would be the ones on the right hand bottom corner of a cheque leaf that says ‘Self’ on the top.

Little did I know as a kid that the ever silent and insignificant ‘E’ would shoot to such prominence in the years to come? You are so ‘E’ dependent these days particularly when one’s on the move… so much so that Emotion has also become a kind of ‘E’ in Motion.

1 comment:

JV said...

"E" in Motion... Wow... Can only come from you !!!