Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fundamentals on plate tectonics from a Pashtun taxi driver!!!!

Visited Dubai after six months last week and decided to hop in and out of taxis instead of driving. Almost all the drivers who drove me around were from the NWFP (North Western Frontier Province) of Pakistan a place re-known for, and living up to the adage of ‘a bombing-day-keeps-the-Americans-away’.
The people from this place speak Pashto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashto_language
A language spoken by the inhabitants of NWFP in Pakistan and Afghanistan, one of the drivers I met took off on his Pashto laced with Urdu laced with a lil Hindi to a guy, that’s me, who speaks a lil bit of Tamil & Malayalam laced Hindi.
My first attempts at Hindi way back in 1996 when I first landed in Dubai was nightmarish, I still remember my first sentence in Hindi, ‘MERAAY KOOOO DEIRA(a place in Dubai) JAAANAAA HAAAII’ (to be read transliterated exactly the way its spelt). The driver just replied back ‘Erry okkarunga saar’ in Tamil (meaning 'please hope in sir'), so u know my Hindi was a give away on where I was from.
Coming back to our Pashtun friend, he explained to me that he has heard that the high rises under construction in Dubai needs very deep foundations, and hence these numerous excavations in close proximity causes movement of the Earths crusts, thereby causing Earth quakes!!!!! Maaan this guy was terrific...Fundas on plate tectonics…That was not all, we moved on to the Middle East crisis, he ‘explained’ to me America’s policy on Iran, he also revealed stuff that the likes of A Q Khan and Musharaf refuse to admit. He declared that the only country apart from the America to possess the THE BOMB was Pakistan. He went on to say that Iran was even faking their nuclear prowess.(Are u listening Mr. Ahmedijinad)
I paid him a good tip for enlightening me (or rather taking me for a ride!!!) on Plate Tectonics and the Middle East politics.

No comments: